Thursday, September 15, 2011

Review || Zomato.com

Started off as Foodiebay.com, I first came to know of this website through a random poster put up on the notice board of Kailash Hostel, IIT Delhi (Old Kailash, mind u!). At that time, I didn't quite understand what was it all about. So I decided to google and OMG, what I found was spell binding!

Though I don't know who all started it but I've met one of its co-founders Pankaj Chaddah personally and I must say they're all, quite an impressive lot. And the timing was so perfect ... I was working in full swing for Phokatcopy's operations so yeah, in a way it was inspiring too.

Coming back to zomato, let's mention some likes and some dislikes/ scope of improvement at this website. Let me try to stick to the standard no. of 3 :P
Likes -
1. In the current version of the website, what I really like is the way it all starts. No complications, simple straight forward options listed - All, Delivery, Dine-out, Night-life. And of course, u have the option to look for a joint of ur choice by location of simply search its name.
2. The good part about the search is the 'Auto correct'. I don't know whether the makers themselves are aware of this or not, but this happened with me yesterday when I was looking for the menu of Khaaja Chowk. I ended up typing Khwaja Chowk (a wrong spelling), yet I got the correct menu! :P
Lucky me!
3. Lots of cities covered. And I think they're adding more!
4. Yes, there is another point! And that is their latest app! It's bunderphool .. I mean wonderful!
5. And of course, the mention of facilities like air-conditioning, wi-fi and yes, the map!
6. contests! Like the latest, write for a bite contest! For further details, check out www.zomato.com
7. The 'About Us' page ... I don't know who wrote this all, but that person is impressively witty and I just love the way it's been penned er.. typed! :P

Dislikes/ Scope for improvement -
1. I've noticed spelling mistakes in reviews at times, I think they should work on them. Only heavy words won't do.
2. Variation in price. Yes, surprisingly, I saw that at couple of places too. For instance, more than a year ago, when Barbeque Nation used to serve 2 different buffets for lunch with the higher version priced around 450/- plus taxes, zomato (then foodiebay) mentioned cost for two as 1500/-, which of course, was not correct. Thankfully, it's been rectified to 1200/-.
So there can be slight variations at times. But generally, as in 90% of the information is correct.
3. Cut the crap! I don't think there can be any dislike! Quoting a friend .. 'sab kuch to mast hai' and of course, the only probable dislike 'someone else owns the company' ;-)
Well ... nothing more to say!

I'd rate tomato .. I mean Zomato ****1/2. Yes, I've left 1/2 coz I dunno what else are they gonna come up with, considering the new 'Events' section added.

2 comments:

  1. Spontaneous, yet complete. :)

    I would suggest you to do "Flipkart" next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey shruti i didn't knw u worked on a website and i even Googled it and see what i found(http://www.phokatcopy.com/)
    hehehe good work :)
    and nice review of zomato,i understood how much you follow it wen we went to zura for lunch na :)

    ReplyDelete